Save the date: 5- 7 April 2013… because the SA Navy Festival is around the corner. The Annual SA Navy Festival takes place in Simon’s Town and is one of the highlights of the year in the black and white town which is as renowned for its penguins as for the navy. Calling all officers and gentlemen… this one is for you.
** SA NAVY FESTIVAL TIPS**
- The Traffic is crazy to get to Simon’s Town so be prepared!
- Take the train if you don’t want to sit in traffic.
- If you want to drive try the longer route round via Kommetjie and travel over Red Hill.
- When you get to Simon’s Town, take the first parking spot you see. (you might have to walk but better than sitting in a traffic jam)
- Head to Simon’s Town EARLY
- Visit the SA Navy Festival on the first day.
- Hot Tip: Stay overnight and make a weekend of it. Simon’s Town is easy to walk through and is a fabulous town for exploring.
The Festival usually kicks off with the South African Navy Band Dry Dock Concert on Friday evening but it is always subject to weather and important details! It is a very special and magical concert so fingers crossed as we await confirmation.
Entrance to the festival is free and the gates usually open at 10am and close at 6pm. Saturday normally kicks off with the Right of Entry Parade through Simon’s Town and it’s a fantastic sight that normally takes place first thing in the morning so worth getting there early (or better yet stay overnight and beat the traffic!)
There are various events held in the main arena and the SA Navy ships and Submarines are open to the public throughout the festival. There are tug rides, flea markets, and children’s activities on offer but the naval displays and arena events are the most exciting. The arena events usually take place twice a day and some of the annual events are:
- Fire-fighting display and competition
- Dog Display by the SA Navy Dog unit
- Gun Displays from the Special Forces Unit.
- Music from the SA Navy Band and the Izivunguvungu Youth Bands
- Navy Choir performance
Other naval displays:
- Live cannon firing (all day)
- Mast display
- Ship Boarding Display by Marine Reaction Squadron
- Precision Drills from the SA Navy and Sea Cadets
- SA Navy Diver’s Demonstration
- Aerial displays: Lynx and Oryx Helicopters and the Silver Falcons.
The SA Navy Festival usually ends with the retreat Ceremony in the East Dockyard between 5 and 6pm. Please note that all events and displays mentioned have not been confirmed at the time of publishing this blog!
Event Details: SA Navy Festival
Dates: 5- 7 April 2013
Venue: Main Road Simon’s Town and East Dockyard.
Contact: 021 787 4735
Cape Point Route offers day tours, packages, accommodation, activities and car hire in Cape Town’s south peninsula in addition to teambuilding events in Cape Town. Call 021 782 9356 or visit www.capepointroute.co.za